All-purpose flour, for rolling out the dough
Dough for a 9-inch single crust pie
½ c unsalted butter
3 tbsp light corn syrup
1/4 c St. Elmo Whiskey
¼ c honey
1 c light brown sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
¾ tsp kosher salt
1 ½ c pecan halves
Flaky sea salt (optional)
1. Dough – On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12-inch circle, and transfer to a 9-inch metal pie plate. Fold over any excess dough, crimping the edges. Transfer crust to the freezer for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours.
2. Preheat Oven – When ready to bake, place a rimmed baking sheet on the middle oven rack and heat oven to 425 degrees.
3. Brown The Butter – Heat a small saucepan and melt the butter over medium heat. Cook, swirling occasionally, until the foam subsides, the milk solids and turns golden brown and the butter smells nutty and toasty, about 5 minutes.
4. Egg/Sugar Mixture – In a large bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Mix in sugar, vanilla, and salt. Set aside.
5. Syrup Mixture – Add corn syrup & St. Elmo Whiskey to the browned butter pan, transfer off the heat. Carefully resume medium low heat and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the syrup mixture thickens and reduces slightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and whisk honey into the warm syrup mixture. Let cool at least 10 minutes.
6. Combine Syrup Mixture & Egg/Sugar Mixture – Gradually pour syrup mixture into the egg/sugar mixture, whisking constantly, then use a rubber spatula to scrape in all the brown bits at the bottom of the pot.
7. Remove pie crust from freezer. Place pecans along the bottom of the crust. Carefully pour the filling over the pecans.
8. Bake – Place pie plate on the hot sheet pan and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue to bake for another 35 to 45 minutes, until the center of the pie has puffed up and turned golden brown.
9. Transfer pie to a wire cooling rack, sprinkle with flaky sea salt, if you like, allow to cool for at least 2 hours before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.