2 c. water
2 tbsp. unsalted Butter
1 tsp. Kosher Salt
½ c. grits
¼ c. gouda cheese, shredded
2 tbsp. St. Elmo Coarse-Cut Horseradish
2 tbsp. onions, diced
2 tbsp. green bell pepper, diced
1 tsp. garlic, minced
1 c. tomatoes, diced with juices
2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 lb raw 13/15 Shrimp, peeled and deveined
4oz chicken sausage, diced
¼ c. chicken stock
¼ c. heavy cream
1 tsp. blackening spice
1 tsp. chives, bias cut
1. Bring water, butter and salt over medium-high heat to a boil.
2. Once water is boiling, reduce heat to low and pour in grits, whisk to prevent lumps. Cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes. Stir constantly.
3. Once grits are done, whisk in cheese and Coarse-Cut Horseradish until well blended.
4. While grits are cooking, heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and add butter.
5. Add onions, pepper, garlic and sauté until soft. About 3-4 minutes.
6. Add tomatoes and juice, bring to a simmer. Cook for about 3 minutes.
7. Sprinkle in flour and stir well.
8. Add shrimp and cook until shrimp turns pink, about 2 minutes. Mix constantly.
9. Add sausage and cook for 1 minute.
10. Add chicken stock, heavy cream, blackening spice and mix. Cook until mixture begins to simmer.
11. In a separate non-stick pan, add an egg and cook over easy.
12. Spoon the hot grits in the center of your plate, ladle shrimp mixture over grits and top with egg.
13. Garnish with chives and enjoy.