5 tbsp. unsalted butter
4 tbsp. all-purpose flour
2 c. milk
1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tbsp. St. Elmo Creamy Horseradish
2 tbsp. St. Elmo Coarse-Cut Horseradish
½ tsp. Kosher salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
½ c. parmesan, grated
4 slices sourdough bread
½ red onion, sliced into rings
8oz sliced city ham (or bacon)
1. Preheat oven to 400°
2. Heat a saucepan over medium heat and add butter.
3. Once butter is melted, add flour and whisk until slightly dark. Do not burn.
4. Pour in milk slowly while whisking.
5. Once hot and has a thick consistency, remove from heat.
5. Stir in mustard, Creamy Horseradish, Coarse-Cut Horseradish, salt, pepper and parmesan.
5. Place the bread slices on a rimmed sheet pan. Ladle sauce over two slices of bread, edge to edge.
7. Top sauce with 4 ounces of ham on each, edge to edge.
8. Place remaining slices of bread on top of the ham to make sandwiches.
9. Cover top of sandwiches with sauce, it can run over the sides.
10. Place about 5 onion rings on top of each sandwich and bake in oven until bubbly, 10-12 minutes. Then increase oven heat to broil. Broil until golden brown, 1-2 minutes.
12. Remove from oven and enjoy.